Monday, February 9, 2009

9 Hours of Solitude

On Saturday, I decided to participate in a marathon viewing of "Dexter". This should come as no surprise to you if you read my previous post.

Well, after watching 9 consecutive hours of Dexter and his search for normalcy, human experience, and meaning.......it really caused me to deeply reflect on some of these issues myself.

Strange to consider that Dexter is showing me much more insight than I ever thought possible. I suppose it's because as an outsider, he notices the all the small things that make people truly human. He has spent most of his life studying the nuances and "ways" of people in order to wear a more convincingly human mask. And so he is on a constantly confusing and curious path to understand himself and others around him.

But it does help you look at your life from a fresh perspective. And that is what 9 hours of solitude on Saturday gave to me.

(Although it did also make me a bit socially strange as well. I mean after a full day of serial killers and the search for "humanness", I felt overwhelmed and awkward.)

No comments: